By Lena Hart, Director of Marketing, PR & Media
Adopt A Shelter Pet This Month!
October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month and while there are many benefits of opening up your home and heart to a pup from a shelter, we want to focus on these 5:
1. Shelter dogs are eager to follow your guidance. To them, you are the real MVP. You have just rescued them from a strange place, and they are ready to share their unconditional love, show off their skills, or follow your lead and learn new ones. Just have some toys, treats and lovin’ ready.
2. By adopting a shelter dog, you help to lower the number of dogs currently awaiting their forever families while making room for more animals that need to be saved. Adopting from a shelter also helps to stop the churning out of puppies for profit from puppy mills, where dogs are bred, raised and kept in horrendous conditions.
3. Shelter dogs are up-to-date on vaccinations, microchipped and spayed/neutered as many shelters and rescue groups help new dog owners get a jump start on preventive health care.
4. A shelter pup may already have experience living in a home, and may already be house-trained, crate-trained and experienced in riding in a car. Adopting an older dog means you’ve just skipped over the puppy stage and may not need to hide all your shoes!
5. Adopting a shelter dog can help you make new friends, become a part of a community, and maybe even score a date! There’s something special about being a shelter dog’s hero. You get to learn their story, or you may have to piece one together if there is little or no information on the pup’s background. Think of it as a conversation starter that may open doors of opportunities you didn’t even know existed.
Right now, there are many wonderful four-legged companions waiting at Suncoast Humane Society for their freedom rides to their new forever homes. Visit www.humane.org to see them all and call 474•7884 to set up an appointment for a Meet & Greet or to adopt. So what do you say, are you ready to be a hero?
Howling for E.A.R.S.
White Rabbit Saloon invites you to their second annual “A Howling for E.A.R.S.” on Friday, October 17 at 7pm. This fundraiser and donation drive for Englewood Animal Rescue Sanctuary (E.A.R.S.) features live music, dancing, food, a silent auction, raffles and a 50/50. There will be a box for donation supplies to be delivered to E.A.R.S. Items needed include bleach, dog food, cat food, paper towels, hand sanitizer, cat litter, blankets and puppy pads. White Rabbit Saloon is located at 8282 Wilshire Drive, Pt. Charlotte (off Gasparilla Road.) 623•5925.
Drags to The Rescue!
Suncoast Humane Society (SHS) presents their first annual virtual drag show fundraiser event, “Drags to the Rescue!” This exciting event will feature Floridians decked to the nines in drag gear, submitting videos of their talents to compete for the ultimate star-studded crowning celebration. Contestants should be dressed in drag and submit videos up to three minutes in length singing, dancing, lip syncing, or performing comedy or rap via a public YouTube link. Contestants must be Florida residents and be at least 18 years of age. Prizes include a $1,000 Amazon gift card, a virtual trip to Paris and more! The entry fee is a $25 donation, and SHS reserves the right to ensure all video entries are appropriate. All submissions will be available for public voting through October 31. Each vote is a $1 donation with a minimum of 5 votes each time ($5). The winner will be announced on Saturday, November 28th at 8pm in a star-studded crowning celebration live on Facebook. Drags to The Rescue! Sponsorship opportunities are available. Please visit www.humane.org. for more information and to enter.